Outside the Cave has moved!

You should be automatically redirected in 6 seconds. If not, visit
http://blog.stephenlazar.com
and update your bookmarks.

5.16.2005

Comments re: Flattened Education

First off, I just wanted to thank everyone who has posted once again. In my first post I talked about how I am beginning to take initiative in sharing my thoughts on what I have learned on the web because I feel a responsibility to do so. I appreciate those of you who have chosen to share this responsibility with me.

Ok, so on to the responses, in order of their posting.

...no wrote

We understand that the change can benefit us. We're not totally incompetent. [. . .] Quite frankly, I like having a say in my education, especially through blogging. I really don't like speaking up in person, so this works well for me.

I didn't mean to suggest that any of you were incompetent. However, not all my students would agree from you (as many have made clear in various reflections throughout the year). And that is okay. Different people learn differently, and while I think a classroom that involves students in the decision making process and encourages them to be active learners works best for the largest number of students in the largest number of situations, there is no silver bullet that will work for everyone all the time. I'm glad you like the blog format for sharing thoughts. I wish it is something I had started earlier in the year, and will definitely continue in future years.

Jared wrote:

I liked it alot more as opposed to some other classes I've had this year and in the past, and your unique approach is interesting.

Jared - I just wanted to let you know that while a lot of techniques I use place me in the minority at a school like ours, the techniques I use to teach are all used by countless other teachers throughout the country. I think they are a lot more effective (and more fun and interesting) than traditional teaching and there is a mountain of research that backs that up. Unfortunately, changing tradition is a long (and sometimes seemingly impossible) process...

Cassie wrote:

but it was also more work. I think that some of the other kiddos didnt enjoy it because it made them think and they actually had to do stuff.

Cassie - It's funny you wrote that. When I was in college and started learning about this style of teaching, I thought a lot about how I would've felt if I had a teacher like myself in high school. And to be honest, I probably would've hated me. I was one of the students who could get by without doing too much work (my school was a lot easier than yours, though) and the idea of a teacher who wouldn't let me just skate by would have really bothered me.

....yea dont know how much that was on topic but what can you do?
It was, but don't worry about it. You're sharing your well-thought out ideas, and that's what's important.


No comments: